Monday, December 27, 2010

Research!

One of the things I love most about what I do is all the wacky stuff I can get away with for the sake of "research".  A lot of people don't realize the amount of work involved when it comes to playing roles; researching where they are from, how they speak, carry themselves, what childhood trauma they suffered to shape their neurosis and so on...

I've had some pretty out-there experiences for the sake of research for my roles and my writing...I hung out at a mental institution for 2 weeks when researching schizophrenia, lived in an artist commune with 17 people and 2 bathrooms, I've even done foot fetish modeling - I made a couple hundred dollars for letting someone takes pictures of my feet while smooshing a twinkie between my toes (I was fully clothed minus the socks) - yes, people are sick. 

My director advised me to watch Get Him To The Greek to help research the slimy British musician to help me with one of the characters in my show.  I watched it last night and all I have to say is "Keep stroking the wall.  This is what all pussy used to look like in the 70's".

Research...right?